Induro AT-413 tripod

Stu

I've been on the look out for a taller, more stable photo tripod which I can use with my TV76 and mini giro mount for grab and go use. I have been using a Berlebach 2022 Report for quite some time, which is very nice, and was quite stable with my WO 66 on, but with the extra weight of the 76 it does take a while to settle when fully extended and used at high mags. It is also not quite high enough for comfortable viewing at the zenith.

Having read a lot of good reports on Redsnapper tripods, I briefly tried an RS-324 Carbon Fibre, but although it extended high enough, I found it surprisingly wobbly, not as good as the Berlebach but much lighter and more compact obviously.

After some web searching, typically I came across a useful reference on SGL (where else!) about the Induro products, and in particular the AT413 which has a load capacity of 20kg and a height of 1.84m. The 76 plus accessories, plus the mount and counter weight are under 10kg so it looked promising.

Well, I ordered the tripod and received it very quickly and am very pleased with the quality and stability. The legs are strong, in three sections and extend via a quick twist system which works very smoothly. I find in normal use I do not have to fully extend the bottom section which helps keep things rigid. In particular, the top spider on this tripod seems very solid, with no flex in it which helps stop vibrations, and the central extending pillar is larger than I have seen before, and again helps maintain rigidity.

I tried the tripod out for the first time last night for a quick session on Jupiter and M42. It was very quick and easy to setup and level. I only used one ep, a 3.5mm Delos giving x137 which is generally the max I use on Jupiter with this scope. Given the high mag, I was still very happy with the new tripod. There are still vibrations when you focus but they damp down very quickly and make planetary observing quite comfortable and satisfactory. The ability to extend above head height makes observing at the zenith whilst standing very comfortable too.

So, if you are looking for a nice tall and stable photo tripod, I can definitely recommend having a look at this range. It was supplied with a nice carry case, strap and toolkit which included 3 screw-in spiked feet which replace the rubber ones when needed.

Photos to follow.

Cheers,

Stu

ahhhh... you must of seen a post by me about it.   I own one of those AT-413's for photography with big lenses and it is quite good for the money, yet reasonably portable.   I have a Free Turn Q mount coming for it shortly and will put my ST-80 f/5 or the 100ED f/9 on it and use it as a grab-n-go scope setup.  

Glad you like it too!

So it's all your fault is it ;-)

Just checked my search again and it was indeed your post that I found :-). Yes, I do like it very much, glad I found it. Finally feel like I've got something up to the job.

That mount looks great, are you getting the first one? The website seems to be slowly building up as the parts are completed? Very interested to see how it works.

Cheers,

Stu

Looks like a good tripod, Stu.

I have mine mounted on a Televue Gibraltar mount, which is overkill but awesome. Excellent for grab and go at home. For travel, I've also just recently gotten a Telepod tripod and mount head, which is more compact than the Gibraltar. Will be taking this and the TV76 away with me over Xmas. Whilst at home, the PST sits happily on this one.

The Telepod mount heads are excellent for casually panning around the sky with ease. The mini giro's look to be an awesome bit of kit also.

Cheers,

Aaron

So it's all your fault is it ;-)

Just checked my search again and it was indeed your post that I found :-). Yes, I do like it very much, glad I found it. Finally feel like I've got something up to the job.

That mount looks great, are you getting the first one? The website seems to be slowly building up as the parts are completed? Very interested to see how it works.

Cheers,

Stu

My FTQ order is #23.   Charles said I would have mine before the new year.   Should work great on the AT-413, even with the 100mm f/9.  

The Induro AT-413 and some of the slightly smaller models have been getting good reviews on the photography side.   I picked mine up about a year ago and have used it quite a bit outdoors shooting wildlife.   I have a Feisol 50mm carbon fiber ball head on it normally and the rig is good to the 20kg listed, even in the wind.

Best!

Dave

Just been having another go with this tripod and am very pleased with it. With it still not fully extended, I can view at the zenith standing fully upright with the eyepiece exactly at eye level, really great. It is very stable, and very quick to adjust, all very pleasing :-)

Stu

Archived