Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone would be able to direct me to some websites where i can get a observation list for Messier Objects and other lists. I came across one a couple of month ago which was perfect but i never saved the website or printed it off, now of course i cannot find it any where. I have come across of lists but there not ideal for me. The one i found had a picture of the object, the name, co-ords, which constellation its located near, date and time found etc. 

I understand that there is a book for the Messier Objects but for the prices I've found i refuse to pay £30-£40 for it.

Any help would be absolutely amazing.

Thanks

Matt

Cheapest will be:

Google for "list of messier objects"

Then the wikipedia entry.

It is a table of the lot initially arranged by M number, but by clicking on the top of one of the columns you can rearrange it literally at a click. You can easily click on Constellation and then you have them grouped by the constellation they are in, so work through a constellation a night.

Next if wanted try: The Astronomical League: http://www.astroleague.org/

Select the Observe tab, then select Programs

They have a fairly good selection of observing programs, although for the Messier one you do not need to do all 110 so the choice appears left to you.

Finally to aid you know what is possible, here is a planner I book marked some time back:

MPlanner

For locating I use the maps supplied in The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion, prefer the presentation.

so I've been able to print off the Ultimate Messier Catalog, the Caldwell and the Herschel 400 Log. Can anybody tell me any other i could get. I'm wanting to start the new year off searching for objects in the sky, not just putting the scope somewhere and thinking ooh aah,  i want to know what I'm looking for and be able to cross it off and hopefully complete something :) 

Any help is useful.

so I've been able to print off the Ultimate Messier Catalog, the Caldwell and the Herschel 400 Log. Can anybody tell me any other i could get. I'm wanting to start the new year off searching for objects in the sky, not just putting the scope somewhere and thinking ooh aah,  i want to know what I'm looking for and be able to cross it off and hopefully complete something :)

Any help is useful.

The lunar 100, and maybe there's a good listing of double stars?

Archived