Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm on the slope!

Hello,

I'm wondering if getting a goto mount upgrade for my SW 200P and EQ5 mount is the way to go for my next addition. I have just got a bit of unexpected money come in, so I have the readies, but as we all know, it will get spent on something sensible if I don't move quickly, and the window of opportunity will disappear! I know there is a UHC filter and a TELRAD under the Christmas tree. I have not long invested in a 17 and 8mm SWA EP's. I would at least like to motorise the controls, to make adjustments easier, but should I go to full goto, or should I spend the money on something else? My TELRAD might become instantly redundant. Am I likely to outgrow this combo soon? For instance, if I get into imaging, will a better mount be necessary? What are the thoughts of the wise here?

Mike.

Hi Mike, well you won't get "thoughts of the wise" off me  :sad: but I'll do my best.............

How are you for finding objects with your current set up ?   If you get on ok with that, perhaps just get motors for the mount ?  The Telrad coming your way should help with finding stuff.

On the other hand, if finding objects is a problem, maybe the go-to could be the best upgrade.

Sorry, can't answer the imaging question.

Regards, Ed.

Hello,

I think the goto setup will help with the light pollution issue, where it can be difficult to star hop to find what I want to see. I haven't tried the TELRAD yet, so don't know if this will improve my targeting to a great extent. I am not very experienced, but I have not been disappointed in finding what I want. Even when I cannot find things, it does not spoil my fun, as there is a challenge issue and of course the satisfaction of tracking down the elusive. Is there a reduction in fun from the goto, or are there things I might never see without some help. I intend to travel to a less light polluted spot more often thn I do, but most of my viewing, as I suspect is the same for many, will be from a back yard in a city. I might just never see some good stuff. I was keen on using the setting circles on the mount, as I like to do things manually if I can, there is a lot to learn this way, but apparently, the setting circles on an EQ5 mount are more ornamental than useful!

Mike.

Hi again Mike. It's a tough call as to what will work for someone else.  Go-to wasn't an option when I started out.  Setting circles was as high tech as it got, but I never bothered with that, because they were small and next to useless on the EQ mount that my 4.5" reflector came with, so I learned to star hop.

Some of my clubmates swear by go-to, but I've seen others swear at it.......so it's a matter of finding out what works for you.

A thorough reading of the manual, patience, and a good reliable power source helps a lot, if using the technology.

For me, chasing down objects is part of the fun, and I really wouldn't want to do it any other way. It very definitely gets easier with practice, just like anything else.

Perhaps you could try the Telrad, have a few sessions, see how it goes, then decide whether to upgrade to go-to, or just get motors for tracking ?

Regards, Ed.

Hello,

Thanks Ed for your thoughts. I was thinking of just getting on with the TELRAD (the iPad capitalises TELRAD automatically, I wonder why?) and seeing if I could make a decision based on what I found. I probably should, but I suspect my little bit of unexpected cash wil have gone on something more mundane and domestic, before I came to a decision, and the opportunity for goto will have, well gone!

I definitely could do with motorised controls, I always seem to be reaching for the knobs from an awkward angle. Turn Left at Orion is also in my Christmas stocking, so perhaps I will stick to star hopping for now. It just means the slope will get steeper in the future.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived