NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newcomer looking for first scope recommendations

I want to see: Galaxies, Nebula, Constellations, Star Clusters
I would also like to view Planets and their satellites however I've heard you get certain views for certain scopes.
I have been recommended Dobsonian Skywatcher Skyliner 150.
I have a budget of around £200
Thank you for any help!

Kencko..........Hi, Welcone to SGL. Thats a great choice. My recommendation would be to go for the slightly larger 200P. It will cost a liitle more, but under the right conditions, the larger aperture size will be of more benefit. You can go even larger but the cost, weight size and portability are all issues to contend with. A Dobsonian mount is simple and very easy to operate. Please remember they were designed for ease of use and general observation of the night skies. They were not designed to track and photograph planets. But just for viewing, your 150 (make sure its a 150P) will be ok.

Edit* My observation site suffers from external light pollution. I can just see the Andromeda Galaxy M31 as a small grey patch. But viewed from a dark site, I cant get all the Nebula in the viewfinder, Its so large! so conditions are important, as are lens choices. Jupiter is good through my scope, the Moon is mind-blowing. I haven't  made time or the  weather conditions have prevented me from seeing  other planets, but there's plenty of time for me yet. Constellations  can be better observed using binoculars, just to get the whole constellation inside the field of view. Its early Days for you. If your thinking of photography, then your requirements will have to change and again so does the cost. Equatorial motor driven mounts and all that stuff. Others here are more experienced in that field, Although I have managed a snap of the Moon and Jupiter (In my Gallery)

I want to see: Galaxies, Nebula, Constellations, Star Clusters

I would also like to view Planets and their satellites however I've heard you get certain views for certain scopes.

I have been recommended Dobsonian Skywatcher Skyliner 150.

I have a budget of around £200

Thank you for any help!

Kencko welcome.  I was in your position 6 weeks ago,  I took the risk and went secondhand.  See sig below.

Really glad I went for a refractor first.  For less than £40 including P&P I learned a great deal and had fun with the moon and jupiter.  And I reckon I could recover £20+ easily if I just put it back on ebay.  But it is so convenient and I can even study the moon through double glazing from an upstairs window so I think it is now a permanent fixrure.

Then I got a goto for £150.  I know secondhand has risks but it worked out for me.  

And now I'm buying eye pieces to upgrade the quality and they are interchangeable between my scopes of course.

Well just my story but the main thing is just to go get one and do it.  I'm fully hooked already cussing every cloudy night  :smiley:   Enjoy

Archived