NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problems with Heavens-Above

nvchad2

I'm having trouble adding my location on Heavens Above.  I want to be able to see satellites as they pass overhead, but the information it gives me isn't correct.  My location shows "[unspecified]" just under my user name, but I can't change it.

When I go to "Change Your Personal Settings" I get a server error.  Everything else on the website seems to work, so I don't think its anything that IM doing wrong.  But I don't know.  Here's what it says:

Server Error in '/' Application

I've tried using google to get to the manual location page (linked below) but when I enter everything and hit submit, it just takes me back to the home page and nothing has changed.

http://www.heavens-above.com/ManualLocationInput.aspx

Does anyone else have this problem?  For now I'm using the Satellite Fflybys section over at Spaceweather.com, but Heavens Above has a better database and a lot more information.  But if it isn't accurate for my location, it isn't really going to help.

Other info:

Browser is Google Chrome

Running AdBlock (though it's turned off for the Heavens Above domain)

I can provide any other information that might be relevant, just ask.

User location is defined by a cookie held in the Chrome browser so either the cookie is damaged or you have cookies blocked.

Assuming you have cookies enabled and the cookie is damaged then:

Click on the three horizontal line symbol at the end of the address line, top of the page in the Chrome browser.

Select "Settings" from the drop-down menu.

Click on "Show Advanced Settings" at the bottom of the page.

Under "Privacy" click the box 'Content Settings".

"Content Settings" page will open, now click "All settings and site data".

Scroll down the list of sites that you have visited until you find the "Heavens Above" site and click on it, once highlighted click on the "X" symbol at the end of the line to delete the cookie and all site data held in Chrome for Heavens Above.

Click on "Done" all the way out of Chrome and then restart the browser.

Now navigate back to the Heavens Above site and re-enter your user location via coordinates and/or location name as guest (without logging in)

Hopefully this should fix it for you.

User location is defined by a cookie held in the Chrome browser so either the cookie is damaged or you have cookies blocked.

Assuming you have cookies enabled and the cookie is damaged then:

Click on the three horizontal line symbol at the end of the address line, top of the page in the Chrome browser.

Select "Settings" from the drop-down menu.

Click on "Show Advanced Settings" at the bottom of the page.

Under "Privacy" click the box 'Content Settings".

"Content Settings" page will open, now click "All settings and site data".

Scroll down the list of sites that you have visited until you find the "Heavens Above" site and click on it, once highlighted click on the "X" symbol at the end of the line to delete the cookie and all site data held in Chrome for Heavens Above.

Click on "Done" all the way out of Chrome and then restart the browser.

Now navigate back to the Heavens Above site and re-enter your user location via coordinates and/or location name as guest (without logging in)

Hopefully this should fix it for you.

I followed your instructions up to the "All settings and site data".  On the Content Settings page there is no such button.

I also tried clearing ALL my browsing history (cookies, cache, everything) and updating Chrome.  Still not working.  Still receiving a server error when I try changing personal settings.

Sorry, that was a typo, on the content settings page you click on the "All Cookies and Site Data" button to access individual sites and delete them.

I tried your link http://www.heavens-a...SelectTown.aspx in Firefox, Safari and Chrome and it does not function, error 404, but only when you are logged in to the site, as long as you stay as guest then no error is created and your location is updated via the cookie so this is a problem with the site and not with your browser.

Then I tried logging in as normal and changing my personal settings here: http://www.heavens-above.com/EditConfig.aspx and changed my home location to Harrisonburg using text search and the map, both worked and I was able to change my location without any problems also then tried adding your location as a second site and that worked, finally tried deleting all sites and re-entering my own location without problem.

Suggest you try a mail to the site owner if still having problems, Chris.Peat{at}heavens-above.com

Sorry, that was a typo, on the content settings page you click on the "All Cookies and Site Data" button to access individual sites and delete them.

I tried your link http://www.heavens-a...SelectTown.aspx in Firefox, Safari and Chrome and it does not function, error 404, but only when you are logged in to the site, as long as you stay as guest then no error is created and your location is updated via the cookie so this is a problem with the site and not with your browser.

Then I tried logging in as normal and changing my personal settings here: http://www.heavens-above.com/EditConfig.aspx and changed my home location to Harrisonburg using text search and the map, both worked and I was able to change my location without any problems also then tried adding your location as a second site and that worked, finally tried deleting all sites and re-entering my own location without problem.

Suggest you try a mail to the site owner if still having problems, Chris.Peat{at}heavens-above.com

Thanks for the help, I was able to delete the cookies and start fresh.  It still gives me an error when I try to change the location while I'm logged in, even at the link you provided.  However, I am able to change the location as long as I stay as a guest.  That's good enough for now.  In the meantime, I sent an email to Chris and am awaiting a response for a more permanent solution.

Hi If you go to change my location you get a map and If you zoom in to where you live and click the left button on you mouse It will give you your location and just click submit . This is what I had to do and it worked. John

Archived