NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Night Out..

ultramol

I bought a SW 200p EQ5 on wednesday evening and spent the last two days waiting for the clouds to dissapear. Last night they did. Even with the moon shining as brightly as it did it was still a wonderful experience. I looked at the moon and saw great detail , especially the raised jagged horizon reaching out  into the dark. Beautiful craters (must learn their names ) and flat black maria intermittently  pock marked with craters. I then turned to Jupiter. The two main belts clearly visible and two of the moons close the planets western rim, shining like diamonds. Eventually orion rose above next doors roof and I saw the orion nebula and the intense blue stars deep within it. It was a wonderful night, but you know what, I know it will be even better when the moon stops bathing the sky with its light and I once again turn my scope to these things. Dark cloudless nights.... I went to bed very happy and contented... :icon_biggrin:

I went out for my first view of Jupiter this morning since getting my new BST EP's...awesome! Even at only x125 I could definitely see 2 or 3 dark belts across it, and 5 moons. Might even get to see a bit more of it at opposition in a couple of weeks...!

Not much else would get me out of bed at 5:00am on a saturday morning... :smiley:

I went out for my first view of Jupiter this morning since getting my new BST EP's...awesome! Even at only x125 I could definitely see 2 or 3 dark belts across it, and 5 moons. Might even get to see a bit more of it at opposition in a couple of weeks...!

Not much else would get me out of bed at 5:00am on a saturday morning... :smiley:

Well done for getting up early, worth it though.

Only four moons are visible in our scopes, the other object was a nearby star, I suspect Wasat.

If you haven't already download Stellarium this will give you all the info. Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Thanks for the correction, Astro Imp...

Re stellarium, apparently my smartphone isn't compatible with it...I downloaded Skychart tho, which looks pretty cool but haven't had chance to use it yet. Hopefully will come in handy for DSO's...hoping to see Orion Nebula and M81 soon.

Archived