NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

December 12 and 13: Quick looks at sun in H-alpha and at 1x in white light

michael.h.f.wilkinson

I was in Paris for work the last few days, but managed to take my little LS35 along. Yesterday I caught a hazy glimpse of the sun, with a few proms and one huge sunspot surrounded by some light and dark filaments. This morning, from a bridge near the station I was about to leave from I set up the little scope after a quick look with eclipse glasses I fortuitously had in my coat pocket. A sunspot could clearly be seen. In H-alpha, this big AR stood out, along with a collection of bright and dark filaments arround it. On the western limb a big prom showed. I only hd about 5 minutes to appreciate the view, but it was well worth packing the little scope. I used both the 24 and 20mm MaxVision EPs, and I like the little boost in magnifcation the 20mm gives. I also tried the XF8.5 but although the skies were up to that, the photo tripod wasn't really up to it. I should look for a sturdier portable solution.

Archived