NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pipp problem.

NIGHTBOY

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What AVI codec were you using to create the AVI File?  (DIB, ULRG or FMP4)

Do you have the exact error message?  I just tried searching the source code for the message you gave and could not find it.  The error message word for word would be good!  Also, most of the fatal AVI writing messages will give a line number too, that would really help here.

I assume your hard drive has enough free space for the created AVI file.

Cheers,

Chris

just had the same problem ... hdd full !

That is a constant problem with this imaging lark!

I bought a caddy for my laptop that allows me to swap the DVD drive for a second hard drive.  That gives me 1 TB of fast access storage space just for imaging.  Since I did that it has been constantly cloudy so I don't think that I shall be filling it up any time soon...

Depends on the quality of the frames , I would let PIPP sort out the best 40% of the original and then let Autostakkert stack the top 50% of those .

No real benefit from stacking the rough frames , it's just a matter of suck it and see how many give the best image .

After I put 1800 frames into pipp, the final result ended in 1680 frames. When I import this into as!2 do I have to change the 'number of frames to stack' box from 100 to 1680????

I should mention here that there can be a few reasons why PIPP less frames than expected.

(1) The AVI file did not actually contain 1800 frames.  This is quite common with many capture programs and generally means that a frame had not been downloaded from the camera in time to write to the AVI file.

(2) If object detection is enabled, frames without an object (planet) completely in the frame are discarded.

(3) The number of output frames has been limited by quality.

I am guessing in your case that it is a combination of (1) and (2) that have output 1680 frames from the expected 1800.

Cheers,

Chris

No, you only want to stack a percentage of them to give AS!2 a chance to throw away the poor frames.  Stacking 2000 frames from 5000 or 6000 often works for me.  But that is from a fast frame rate camera working at over 60 fps.

Cheers,

Chris

50% is not a bad amount, though if you do not stack enough frames you will end up with a noisy image that you cannot sharpen much. Experimentation is the key.

Using too many alignment points will produce less detail, not more:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/201474-as2-alignment-point-sizes/

I would stick to APs of size 70 or 80 for a start.

The % of frames to stack depend on the quality/consistency of the seeing.  You ideally want to stack as many frames as possible but you want to exclude the poor frames.  There was a good AS!2 tutorial floating around somewhere...

I have never managed to get better results by manually placing APs, though many good imagers do swear by it.  If you place them yourself you should make sure they overlap and are not too near the edge of the planet.  Personally I just select an AP size of 70 and use the auto placement feature.

Archived