Much improved Orion

I went out again last night and did Orion again, this time 68 subs at 7 secs each and processed in DSS, then photoshop. I am

definately a fan of DSS now despite the extensive processing time as i have way more colour in this version, still not happy with the uneven sky

but not experienced enough yet to know how to correct, as far as i could tell there were no clouds so i don't know why i have a blotchy

redness?

Neil.

post-31872-0-98575000-1386169004_thumb.j

ok i get it, i need lots and lots of processing practice lol

Just spent some time on this image and am finding out there are SO many variables and i can understand now

how people can spend hours extracting information and refining an image.

Neil.

post-31872-0-09735100-1386175642_thumb.j

Another thought.....would i get better results if i went to the time and trouble to make dark subs and flats? does it make THAT much difference?

Neil.

Yes it does make a big difference.

As you have Photoshop look for Annies Astro Actions, they are cheap and takes you through some of the processing steps. http://www.eprisephoto.com/astro-actions

Hi Neil, you are correct, flats are what you want to remove vignetting.  Very easy to do, just don't adjust focus on the camera and make sure you keep the same f ratio etc.  Take a few exposures on auto setting of a uniform dawn sky or white laptop screen.  DSS will do the rest.

Well played with curves some more and managed to tune out some more of the red light pollution that was plaguing me, i guess this is as good as this image is going to get.

note to self: wait till target is higher in the sky!

Neil.

post-31872-0-98569000-1386290396_thumb.j

Doing flats with a laptop/notebook screen works a treat though can be a bit difficult at times especially if you do this at the end of a night

I brought a cheap EL Panel from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EL-Lamp-electroluminescent-panel-backlight-led-alternative-A5-White-/231103018057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ced03449

and the inverter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-to-AC-inverter-for-EL-Lamp-Foil-wire-electroluminescent-15m-/231014270837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c9860775

As I just do widefield with lenes I put the EL Panel onto a bracket that sits easily in front of the lens and then plug the panel into my 12v supply and then shoot as many flats as I can no matter the time of night

Archived