NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Night Sky Tonight at 20.30 pm (latitude 54.283) (longitude -0.39975)

Hi all,

I am brand new to Astronomy and am taking the course  (S282 Astronomy)  with the Open University. As an activity i have to go out and do some observing, which has been hard work with finding a place to observe from (i do not drive). Whilst walking back home tonight from a friends, the sky was full of stars and about 30 degrees from my horizon i could clearly see "The Plow" and about 6 hrs (RA) i could see the three stars of the main belt of Orion. When i got home i checked the planetsphere i have with the course and when i lined everything up with North being correct with a compass i realized that "The Plough" was the other way up from my planetsphere, and Orion also ! (It works if i turn it around and have South pointing to where North should be.).

I know that there is a simple answer to this problem, with the Earth's tilt or some such hiccup, but it is getting me down and i do not want to start off on the back foot, i want to enjoy my observing (it's hard enough getting me out of the front door !).

Any tips will do,

kind regards

Martin.

As you look up to the sky due to the way you are looking everything becomes inverted for example if you were looking at a star map as you nornally would read a normal map with eyes looking down at the ground when you look up you would be under the impression that everything is backward, so if you positioned the star map so its facing you as you look at the sky you would then be more inline with what the map shows and what your eyes say in the sky. Hope that helps

Sam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Sam, thanks a lot for that. I have only ever read about Astronomy (i love the mathematics!!) and i can see it now. I just got a little stir crazy, so will have to learn patience. The sky was beutiful tonight and i should have stayed out. I have joined a local Astronomy Society but the next members meeting is in January and i am a little shy of asking and making a fool of myself.

Now i feel more confident thank you,

kind regards

Martin.

You're welcome Martin! Tbh honest I've only been into this for a week and didn't have a clue about anything however I joined this forum and its amazing what you can learn so fast! Everyone on SGL seems to happy to give all their knowledge and share their thoughts. Keep looking through all the posts you'll find some interesting stuff. :)

Sam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Martin and welcome to the Stargazers Lounge - There is such a wide range of people on here that it suits everyone - wether you want to really "dive" into Astronomy or just become a casual observer - I think everyone has to find their own level - with you - just beginning - it might help you to see if there is anyone else who lives close to you that could spend a while with you under the stars.  Have a look at the "community" section from the home page of SGL, look for the "Social group" heading and have a look at the posts in there, they show different groups of Astronomers around the UK and there are links to "South Yorkshire" and a "Yorkshire" group, put a post in there to see if there is anyone there close to you that could help you on a clear night.  Its a pity that your not close to me in the Midlands, we could meet and have a look around the sky mate.

Have a look in the Social groups and see if there would be any advice for you in there - they are a really nice group of Astronomers on here - Oh and nice 1 for you taking the Open University course - well done !!.  regards   Paul.

Archived