Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

stellarium with nexstar 127

steve30b

just been messing with this program as i have bought myself a nexstar 127 mak. The software allows me to look through my telescope as i would be looking up to sky. there is various settings to be input into software about my nexstar 127 so i can see on laptop  what i will see through the scope.i use the 25 Ep and 9 EP, can anyone explain what i need to input into stellarium... only had the telescope a few days and its been too cloudy to go outside with it. just learning.. this will give me some sort of idea of what i can see when i get to use it outside.

steve.

You need to configure the oculars (click on button at the top right). I found it straight forward. Then when you either search or click on an object the ocular zooms in and you can scroll through the EPs that you have set up.

You need to configure the oculars (click on button at the top right). I found it straight forward. Then when you either search or click on an object the ocular zooms in and you can scroll through the EPs that you have set up.

cheers steven   thats what i settings i need, the ocular ones for my telescope.

cheers steven   thats what i settings i need, the ocular ones for my telescope.

Scope: Focal length 1500mm, lens diameter 127mm. EPs: F/L 25mm and 9mm. I left the aFOV at 68 when I used the stock EPs. Add in other EPs and Barlows as appropriate.

Scope: Focal length 1500mm, lens diameter 127mm. EPs: F/L 25mm and 9mm. I left the aFOV at 68 when I used the stock EPs. Add in other EPs and Barlows as appropriate.

cheers mate. how do you find your scope ?. i have not used mine yet.

I am very happy with it, great for planetary, cluster and doubles. Not bad on some DSO especially if conditions are good. Obviously it has limitations but the 127 just fits my current requirements in many ways so I am able to use it as regularly as the clouds allow. Even if I get something bigger one day, I will still keep it.

My tips for the 127:

To make the mount more stable

- drop the accessory and put c5kg weight on it

- don't fully extend the lower legs

- check it is all tight

General:

- use two-star align, the quicker the better and then realign with another star later if needed (see manual).

- use an external power supply (I use a car battery starter)

- get/make a dewshield, IMO about the same length as the OTA

If new to astronomy;

Plan your sessions; I always go out with a list of targets

At some point make the effort to go out before dawn; something I started recently, I find the skies are so much clearer at that time and wish I had made that discovery earlier.

Get used to it before buying any other accessories or EPs, usually the 25mm is not bad but the 9mm can be poor.

Get Stellarium (which you have), it is great to see what is up their before going out, especially if you have restricted views (which most do).

Lastly, thermos mugs are great for keeping a drink hot on a cold night.

HTH

I forgot to mention; in stellarium you can change the clock to any time and helps you know what may be where if planning a session in advance.

Also get a mobile phone app, like Google Sky map (Android) or an iOS equivalent.

My tips for the 127:

To make the mount more stable

- drop the accessory and put c5kg weight on it

- don't fully extend the lower legs

- check it is all tight

General:

- use two-star align, the quicker the better and then realign with another star later if needed (see manual).

- use an external power supply (I use a car battery starter)

- get/make a dewshield, IMO about the same length as the OTA

If new to astronomy;

Plan your sessions; I always go out with a list of targets

At some point make the effort to go out before dawn; something I started recently, I find the skies are so much clearer at that time and wish I had made that discovery earlier.

Get used to it before buying any other accessories or EPs, usually the 25mm is not bad but the 9mm can be poor.

Get Stellarium (which you have), it is great to see what is up their before going out, especially if you have restricted views (which most do).

Lastly, thermos mugs are great for keeping a drink hot on a cold night.

HTH

very good info steven, thanks for taking the time to  write the tips.

how do you use a car battery starter for the power ?.

also could do with some info on how to make the dew shield ..

thanks again steve.

very good info steven, thanks for taking the time to  write the tips.

how do you use a car battery starter for the power ?.

also could do with some info on how to make the dew shield ..

thanks again steve.

An OTA (optical tube assembly) is the telescope body. I made my dewshield from a roll of audio carpet that was lying around in the garage, although camping roll mats are more common. Just measure and cut off a piece and make it into a dewshield.

I have a rechargeable car jump starter with car cigarette socket (about £30 from Amazon). Buy leads from eg FLO to connect it to the scope.

An OTA (optical tube assembly) is the telescope body. I made my dewshield from a roll of audio carpet that was lying around in the garage, although camping roll mats are more common. Just measure and cut off a piece and make it into a dewshield.

I have a rechargeable car jump starter with car cigarette socket (about £30 from Amazon). Buy leads from eg FLO to connect it to the scope.

thanks steven, i need to have a go at getting it aligned up. never done it before so just waiting for a clear night. i hope i can use any 2 stars as i haven't a clue where to start.

Archived