NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ5 goto for a 6" reflector.

I have just got a Bresser (Meade) NT150s f5 reflector. Unfortunately my old EQ2 mount is not up to the job and wont move in Declination with the scope fitted. The blurb on the NEQ5 says that it is suitable for scopes up to 10kg and with the stepper motors and st4 port, basic AP is an option. How accurate is this figure in the experience of forum members who own this mount. I could stretch to the HEQ5 synscan (non goto) but don't want to if it is not necessary. I doubt that I will ever get into serious AP as I don't have the patience (or the budget). I don't however want to fork out for a mount that will bounce about with my 6" reflector on it. I also wont be tempted to get an 8" reflector to put on the mount as I have the 10" Dob.

Thanks in advance JC

• 3 weeks later...

Just to finish off, I have just received my new NEQ5 Pro. I must say I'm very impressed. The tripod is a very sturdy. The legs look like something that should be holding up a north sea oil rig. The head is very nice. A perfect match for my 6" newt and I'm sure it could handle an 8" without trouble. It appears rock solid compared to my old no name eq3. Adjustments are very easy and precise and the motors are nice and quiet. I look forward to first light with it and my new scope.

Sorry about the fog, new mount syndrome has the same effect as new scope syndrome.

Archived