Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eqmod cable query and other stuff?

twintin

I have eqmod on my laptop and also stellarium. I have a cable to connect my handset to the laptop via a usb adapter. Do i need an eqdir cable aswell or will this suffice? Mounts an HEQ5 pro synscan, i'm only just starting to get into this whole laptop control & guiding thing so im a bit confused as to what i actually need. I'm hoping to get away with as litle outlay as poss and use the equipment i have already. I think my spc900 on an st80 should be ok for guiding and i've downloaded phd. I have stellarium and stellarium scope and also the ascom drivers and eqmod just not sure if my cable is correct. Then i think its a case of sitting down and working out how it all goes together?

You can get rid of the handset completely and just use one of these:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html  Then set up EQMOD using the instructions on the Yahoo group/EQMOD site.  You don't need one but a game controller (I use a cheap wireless rumblepad from Amazon) is really useful.  I used an SPC900 through both a finder and then an ST80 with no problems - but now have a QHY5 which is much more sensitive..

Thanks for that Roger i just cant work out if i need the extra cable when the one i have plugs in to the controller and works fine. Will this not work with eqmod? If i can get away without buying another cable then all to the good but if i need it then so be it :rolleyes:

Archived