NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY8L camera and guiding with dbk21 and PHD

neodude

Hello everybody,

I am opening this thread in regard to the QHY8L camera from Astrolumina which arrived today, very prompt from UPS i might add.

As a first impression, i was amazed, i expected to be a little smaller..since i never owned a ccd camera like this before. Also the sensor is huge :)

Unfortunately, i could not test it properly because there was no power supply cable in the box. I mean the 12V - 4amps input to the DC box... i had no idea that this wasn;t included.

So, i ended up just connecting the CCD just by USB.

My question is:  do you know if this camera works only on USB, without cooling (set to off).?

Because in its software eZCAP, the images were very small black dots on a white background.. i hope nothing is wrong with the camera and i will buy the power supply cord tomorrow and test again.

And i couldn;'t get to show any image when i connected it to the telescope or even with cap on...still white background.

On the other hand, i also bought a Guide scope 50mm deluxe TS, and connected to it my DBK21.

I have used for the first time the PHD guiding software and i must say it works like a charm :)

The DEC line on the Graph is going upwards a little too much, so i guess i still need to tweak some parameters..i will also post here screenshots when i manage to stabilise it.

RA seems to hold steady.

So, that being said, i wish you all a good night and i am waiting impaciently for tomorrow to test the camera and come back with some images...

Cheers,

Andrew

The camera needs the 12V supply for it to fully work.  I recently got was and was also a little surprised that there was no power cable supplied, I would have at least expected one that terminated in a cigarette adapter plug, even if they're not the best connector in the world.  Luckily I had the one that I used with the defunct QHY8 that the new QHY8L has replaced.

Alternatively, Nebulosity 3 now has native QHY8L support built in.

Indeed - first light with my new QHY8L was done using Neb3.  The heart of the Heart Nebula (NGC896) - not the best target for the image scale that my kit provided, but enough to check the camera and my favourite capture software were working OK together.

post-5202-0-72892500-1385072449_thumb.jp

Archived