NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

cctv camera cooling

shirva

Ken am I right in saying the cold finger isnt directly in contact with the peltier?

That is correct Carl.

The top of the coldfinger is in contact with the cold aluminium casing.

The principle behind a coldfinger is to carry cold to one source from another source. In this instance from the cold case to the fan. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great tutorial as always Ken! Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Can i ask a daft question about all these cooling mods..... is there a temperature where all these mods become kinda pointless?

I can totally understand why some people who live in a warm country might need all these....or maybe during a very good summer. But for us who live in freezing conditions how much benefit would all this bring?

Only reason I'm asking is last night my power tank died and i had to switch everything to be wired to the mains. I could barely hold the camera in my hand it was that cold! Temperature must have been below freezing or close. Surly adding a wee fan isn't going to make any noticeable change when the whole camera would stick to my tongue if i licked it? :)

Thanks Chris.

Yes, there actually is a difference if you can get that cold air to cool the sensor and Amp.

A cold case doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is cold because the sensor and Amp generate their own heat. If your temps are that low, then just a small fan to blow the cold from the case towards the sensor will help.

It is surprising how warm they get inside.

Archived