SkyWatcher Skyhawk-1145P Synscan AZ Go-To Telescope

Is this a good starter telescope for a newbie to the hobby ?

I have an Astrotrac system already, but like the idea of having a telescope to which I can also attach my DSLR and allow me to actually view things live.

This is about my budget range, so would appreciate any comments / reviews from people who know more than me.

Are there alternatives that I should consider.

I envisage using it to look at the Moon, and hopefully Deep Space if possible and take photos of both

thanks

Andrew

As a first scope it is fine, not overly large, 4 and a bit inches, but from your location I guess the skies are reasonable.

There is always a but on most first scopes.

It  is not overly large a 150P would by the simple nature of it display more to you - I am thinking of the 150P dobsonian.

The mount you say is an Alt/Az and for imaging planets that is OK but for imaging DSO (which you state) it is not much use. The movement of the mount does not match the movement of the sky so objects appear to rotate, meaning a blurred image on long exposure images.

Imaging planets is fine, but, back to the scope size, you will find Mars difficult if not impossible, that leaves Jupiter and Saturn.

If you want visual and think that locating and nudging a scope will not be troublesome (and it is only you observing) then conside the bigger dobsonian.

If astrophotography is what you want then you will need to consider an equitorial mount with at least dual motors.

For all astrophotography and visual both use a scope on a mount the similarities to some extend end there.

Hello Andrew,

I agree with ronin, visually, a 150 dob will be a better choice, or even the Heritage 130p.

The problem with the 1145p is that the focal length is f/4.4 and with inexpensive eyepieces coma and outer field sharpness become a issue. Much more then on f/5 IMHO. 8" or 6" dobsonians usually are sold as 1200mm focal length versions and at f/6 or f/8 that is much easier to handle, collimation not required as frequently.

I have the Heritage 130p and it will show a tad more under good sky conditions. The altAz Goto mount performs well even with that scope, at f/5 the short 130/650 are less critical, too.

Imaging is very limited. Video astronomy works as the exposures are short (<20 seconds) and the focal length not critical.

If visual astronomy is your main intention and you just want to take snapshots of the moon once in a while, do consider getting a larger aperture telscope.

A 6 or especially a (used?) 8" dobsonian shows so much more, first hints of galaxy's spirals and more detail on faint nebula, much more stars in star clusters...

A 5" will show first faint details but under mediocre conditions galaxies will remain to be faint fuzzies.

The whole 4-5" on goto is nice, portable, but in the time the thing aligns I have allready observed my first object(s) with the manual dobsonian. Less of a hassle, no batteries, and finding and tracking is no issue (if you print out a few maps).

If imaging is your main goal, you will have to do some further reading and consider getting an EQ mount to compensate field rotation. This type of mount is much more expensive though... At least from NEQ3/5 and up.

Most kits sold in stores are way to weak for (serious) imaging, or at least make it difficult sometimes.

thanks Ronin some great info there

Had a look at the Dobsonian ones mentioned, and although more expensive - Im starting to look closely at the 250P  -- what extras should I buy if I go for this one -- filters, dslr adaptors etc etc

thanks

A dobsonian will not be suited for imaging much except the moon unless you get an EQ platform or one of the Goto-Dobsonians. These GoTo-Dobsonians are still not suited for imaging as they don't compensate for field rotation and are so expensive that a small imaging mount+telscope PLUS a manual dobsonian would be the best choice.

Dobsonian type telscopes are so popular as they simply mount a large reflector telescope on a cheap but stable box. Smooth enough for manually tracking objects at higher magnifications, relatively light and easy to set up, but no frills.

With the GoTo-Dobsonians you will trade in some of the simplicity and introduce new problems (leveled setup, alignment, still not suitable for longer exposures, high focal length is not a great way to start into imaging).

What most people underestimate is the amount of work behind astro imaging.

You don't just point the camera at the eyepiece and have a colorfull, crisp image of some nebula or a larg image of a planet with all it's structure.

Imaging requires many pictures or in case of deep sky objects long exposures as well, stacking many many pictures on the computer, and editing images for a long time until all details are visible.

Most cameras are not as sensitive as our eyes if you point&shoot, only if you expose long enough all the details get visible...

As our planet is tilted and rotates, trackign is required on longer exposures. A simple alt/az tracking mount will follow a object but it will rotate slowly.

Planets are bright and require short exposures, but anything else will become a problem...

I have a 114mm Newt that I just bought on Ebay for £23 (tube only) and on a quick look (literally hand holding it) last night. I am really quite impressed. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, that is wide field views at lower power for holidays etc when space is at a premium. The view was every bit as good as my larger scopes (6", 12" and 16" dobs) taking account for the smaller aperture. my larger scopes provide much less field of course. I was using 32mm and 25mm Televue plossls.

I can only comment on visual observing but the costs of imaging with a scope can spiral when taking into account coma correctors etc.

Archived