Celestron 130 slt and astromaster lens

Hi,

i've found this telescope and wondered if this astromaster accessory box set would fit and my SPC900 webcam would fit the telescope w/o a further adaptor

Telescope

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31145-Newtonian-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B0007UQNNQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2HF1YSWXGNAE4&coliid=I180MSKR21V0PV

Lens

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-94307-AstroMaster-Accessory-Kit/dp/B004KMC0UC/ref=pd_cp_ph_2

my main target is astrophotgraphy of mid / deep space objects like the messier list

your help in this matter will be most appreciated as its on my christmas wish-list.  (hope this year is the year i finally get started)

regards

Nigel

The eyepiece set and webcam will fit the telescope. Unfortunately the webcam isn't suitable for DSO imaging without further modification (search for LX mode in the forum) . The SLT mount is also not ideal for DSO imaging either because it is an alt-azimuth mount rather than an equatorial mount so field rotation will become a problem with longer exposures.

I'm currently getting into video astronomy with a h130p on the nxstar SLT. Great mount, but as peter said, on a alt-az mount the exposure time is limited. With the 130/650 20 seconds will work fine though.

For planetary the focal length is a little low. A barlow will create a leaver decreasing stability.

Also keep in mind most 130/650 kit tubes will not reach focus with a imaging camera and will require you to shorten the tube or move the secondary mirror. I don't know about the celestron kit, perhaps someone else can report on this!

For serious imaging, a 5" (for example the 130p-ds that is specified to be suitable to attach a camera and reach focus) on a motorized EQ mount, perhaps you can get a used NEQ 3 cheaply, would be a better start, or a ED80 refractor perhaps for wide field imaging.

For planets only a 4" or 5" Mak may be a better solution and at least on the 4" my camera reaches focus easily.

Archived