NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3mm, 4mm, 5mm eyepieces that won't break the bank-works w f/4 scope

Hello and good day.. Thank you everyone for the help given previously.. 

I have learned that fast scopes at high magnification require good to excellent quality eyepieces. I would love to be able to buy the 3mm-6mm naglar zoom.. But wow.. lots of money right now..

Is there another high power zoom out there that would be friendly with a fast scope?  

Concerning single EPs  ....   What brand(s) and type(s) would be f/4 friendly.  I really do want nice quality, but I know sometimes paying 6 times may not give 6 times more viewing perfection but quality can be in build, action, weight etc.. 

I have seen many long time viewers saying that the celestron 8mm-24mm zoom is definatly not as nice as the baader for feel and FOV, but for general over all views the actual appearances and view are not blatantly rediculous..

So that is the idea I am trying to apply to my eyepieces. I know I can spend $200 a piece.. But if I can get good useable with adequate performance for a quarter of the price, I am all for that right now.

Thank you for your help.. My scope should be here tomorrow. I am so very excited to see jupiter and the horizons.. 

so, in a nutshell..  adequate  3mm-6mm zoom out there?  And user friendly adequate high power eyepieces.. 3 to 6mm..    thanks

what scope is this for?

Hello.. Just a cheapo  4.5 starblast mini-dob.. 440- F/4...     I have almost decided to sell it pretty much immediatly after I get it.. I happened on a deal for it at about $60 cheaper than can be bought anywhere brand new.. So figured at worst I could use it and break even.. Reviews even by experienced viewers are rating it better than most in its size class. That was another reason I sprang on it.

Seeing that with such a short focal length it was/is going to be hard to get a lot of magnification for viewing the moon and etc. I reason that since I will probably soon step up to an 8" dob that a adequate quality selection of high mag eyepieces would be a good thing to have in my kit.. This is a hobby I have longed to do for years so I know I will not be a short time enthusiest..  So trying to get educated and make some logical and hopefully safe decisions and get a few pieces(at least look out for them) and know what to snag when I see them..    thanks for your help.. advise very much appreciated.. 

I'd suggest you keep the scope for now. I have a 16" and 12" dob and have recently bought a 114mm f4.3 scope to make into a very small travel scope. I know this will give me nice views from a dark site when I have no room for a bigger scope.a good way to increase magnification with a short fl scope is with a good 2x barlow.

with that and a 8mm and 5mm eyepiece (perhaps the BST starguider models) you'd have a good range of higher powers (88x and 176x with the 5mm and 55x and 110x with the 8mm.) This is about the max you'd get with the scope you have

the above is just a suggestion and there will be other options of course.

Archived