NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DitherMaster by Nicola Montecchiari - any experience?

Ok, so I've been moaning and complaining about noise in my latest feeble attempt at imaging the Horse-head and Flame nebula.

A Mr. StuartJPP has been so kind to inform me that I should probably "dither" between subs in order not to more or less permanently imprint the constant noise onto my picture. (a result of too good guiding is suspected).

Now, I've done some googling, and came across this piece of software called DitherMaster - which appears to be favored by several.

It appears though, at least to me - that imaging with a DSLR not controlled by PC (specifically a Canon EOS running its respective software), DitherMaster cannot be used?

I was hoping this program would work with PHD Guiding alone...

Does anyone have any experience with this software?

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you, but DitherMaster needs to control both Canon EOS Utility and PHD. This is because if you weren't controlling your DSLR you could end up having star stripes instead of pinpoints. There is also a version called Blind DitherMaster which allows to not autoguide, but you still need to control your DSLR.

Nicola

Archived