Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trouble deciding

Hi all,

I've been thinking about which telescopes to get for my new observatory for some time and am still thinking!

I would like one for DSO's (mainly visual but possible imaging later) and one for planets (again visual mainly but I'll try some imagining).

I've gone from an 11" SCT with a refractor to, well, all other combinations frankly.

I've ordered an EQ8 mount so weight will not be an issue. Budget for the scopes is about £2,000.

I've come down to the following scopes, but this could change (yet again):-

"OO" VX12 for DSO's and Skywatcher Skymax 180 Pro for planets.

Do you think this would make a good combination?  Maybe something else?

That's the Orion Optics 12" f4 reflector and the Skywatcher 180mm (7") f15 Maksutov Cassegrain.

Mal

Hi Mal, I don't do imaging so won't comment about that.  Those two scope are very nice, but for me I'd want a nice short focus refractor for wide field.

The 12" OO would go deep, the short refractor would go wide.........

Sounds like you will end up with some nice kit in the obsy  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Hi Ed, thanks for your advice.

Maybe I should try and squeeze in a wide field refractor as well or replace the Mak with it and hope the "OO" would do well for planets. I do like the idea of going deep on fainter DSO's and bringing out more detail than otherwise possible.

Regards, Mal.

Archived