Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clouds at midnight * NLC * (2013-08-05)

A mosaic constructed using the free program Hugin from four pictures taken in Ljustadalen, just north of Sundsvall, Sweden. The exposure started about 11 minutes before local midnight (0:44 CEST) 5/8-13. I used my my Canon 600D and Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX HSM DG lens @ 24 mm, F/8, ISO 400 and 2 seconds exposure time. manually selected street lights and tree tops helped to successfully register the images.

I had waited several years for a chance to capture the the noctilucent clouds but since I usually spend most of the summer at 62.5N bad luck and latitude made me wait until early August this year to capture them. All good things come to he who waits and boy did it! I woke up at 11 pm after working a 12 hour shift and looked out the window to find a spectacular show. I grabbed my camera and photo-tripod and trekked across the nearby newly harvested fields to find a decent spot for my tripod (the -dalen part of Ljustadalen means valley...).

post-31484-0-37172200-1383340768_thumb.j

Archived