First mount help

I'm looking for a mount to get started with. While I am sure I'll do some observation imaging is the road I will be taking.

The Sky-watcher EQ6 series seems to be one to go for but it's proving a bit difficult to find one on the used market. I just missed out on one 2 weeks ago with all the trimmings and bar 1 on eBay in Wales (which seems a bit pricey?) I've not seen another come up again since.

Is there any other mounts I should start to consider such as ones by Celestron or iOptron?  Or should I settle for an HEQ5 which would be new in a 200PDS/80ED kit for about the same money as a EQ6 used and a new OTA kit (this latter being my current preference).

I favour the Sky-watcher mounts due EQAscom looking like a most useful tool when it comes to imaging and I am struggling to find similar equivalents for other mounts.

The HEQ5 is a good mount, of that there is no doubt. If you're going to be using a 200PDS though, I would have thought that an EQ6 or NEQ6 would be a better bet for imaging. I'm sure if you are patient something will come up on ABS. The EQ8's are landing now and people will be looking at passing on their other mounts.

The HEQ5 is a good mount, of that there is no doubt. If you're going to be using a 200PDS though, I would have thought that an EQ6 or NEQ6 would be a better bet for imaging. I'm sure if you are patient something will come up on ABS. The EQ8's are landing now and people will be looking at passing on their other mounts.

I hadn't though of that actually, will try be patient then.

It's not so much I will use a PDS but it's high on my to get list with the ED80 which seem to form the base of a decent system.

The HEQ5 and an ED80 is the basis for many good imagers setup. But if you are looking at a larger scope, I would go for a larger mount. My HEQ5 gave me good service, but it very much liked a light, short focal length scope.

Have you got the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? - It's a very good book indeed.

The HEQ5 and an ED80 is the basis for many good imagers setup. But if you are looking at a larger scope, I would go for a larger mount. My HEQ5 gave me good service, but it very much liked a light, short focal length scope.

Have you got the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? - It's a very good book indeed.

I finished it last week.  Was very impressed with it it really sunk in.  I am now looking at investing in the equipment. I have the option of a Nikon D7000  or my old D50 which is one of the old 6MP CCD cameras but cannot take a cable release so would have to bodge something up with a servo or make an automated IR trigger.

Although the HEQ5 will just about cope with an 8 inch Newt the 6 would be better. For a small or medium refractor the 5 is excellent. If you're going to be a mobile imager then you'd probably appreciate the lower weight of the 5. 

These two would be the mounts on my shortlist in your situation.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

I must admit the mass of the EQ6 does worry me.  While I doubt I'll be overly mobile, twins on the way means I have to stay home rather than be able to go out, I will have to cart the lot in and out of the house/shed/garage each night.  That said the EQ6 seems to be fairly upgrade proof until you need to step up to something like an EQ8 which you'd be mad to cart about.  I suppose I could watch for a AZ-EQ6 but those seem to be around £1100 used.

Maybe I'll just order an ST80 on an EQ1 to get me outside even if it is only with my eyes until a 6 comes along and I can then use it as a guide scope once I get going.

Archived