Hello!!

Dalai

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again for the welcome folks :)

Well Schorhr you must have a sixth sense about scopes the ps1000 arrived today, there's a few bits missing (like one of the screws and nut to secure the ring on the eq mount) so I contacted the seller who is arraigning a courier to pick it up and refund me, do I've spent the best part of the afternoon reading on here and google to make a better choice this time. I'm going to go with the skywatcher 130p on an eq2 mount. It's £20 more than the ps1000 but seems to be a much better scope. So thanks for your help, I've finally got there! Now just to wait on my refund before I can place my order!!

Hello Dalai,

sorry to hear that it arrived with missing parts. At least it seems like the seller refunds it.

The 130p is a neat telescope given the price. Please be aware that the EQ-2 mount is not a stable mount for such a telescope. It may be a popular combination, but I find it not acceptable. Results may vary... But once you're used to something more rigid...

That's the trouble with telscopes :-) 20-30£ more for a EQ-2... Another 20-30£ more you'll get a 150p (£199)... :D

How about used equipment? Perhaps a 8" will get into price range... But of course that's not so portable anymore.

Do plan in another bit for a barlow or better yet eyepieces, as the stock 10mm eyepiece of the 130p is not excelent and does not deliver high magnifications required to have a nice view of the planets :-)

Yeah I've been looking at extra eye pieces already, not too sure on barlows yet, I read a 2.5 revalation barlows is pretty good but not sure.

I'll eventually make a Dobsonian mount for it but a little higher than usual.

I have to say the seller has been brilliant even if the scope they sold me wasn't.

Hello Dalai,

if you are willing to build an Dobsonian mount anyway, then any kit mount can work ;-) Just get the best deal... or used :-)

I don't know the 2.5 revalation barlow, but seems like it's just another achromatic barlow.

One of the shops lists it for £31.99 --- Get another eyepiece instead IMHO as the fixed eyepiece will give better results as the cheap kit piece barlowed with an achromatic lens.

And perhaps the cheaper achromatic 2x barlow from TS (13gbp) to fill the gap.

Archived