NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 2080 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope. 8" DOB ??? or this

Hello again.. I found this 8" SCT. in barely used mint condition for $500..    Would there be reasons to justify purchasing that instead of spending  $400 on an Orion 8" DOB.. 

I belive the SCT are easier to set up for taking photos? and for putting motor drives on? 

Would appreciate the schooling. If I spend 4 or 500 I want to know I did the most right logical thing and see the best dern sky I can..  Thanks again

If you are thinking of getting involved in astrophotography, stop straight away and do a lot more reading.  Try Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards, Steppenwolf on here.

What you should not do is read a word of what the manufacturers have to say about their own products. The requirements of AP are remarkably counter intuitive and the last thing you should buy to begin with is an SCT.  Also Dobs are great visual visual instruments but are not for AP.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

I used to be an agent for Meade, the 2080 was their earliest 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain and was of variable optical quality, I would expect an Orion 8" Dob (I have one) would perform better. As Olly says, neither could be recommended for AP.  :smiley:

Thank you very much for your time and advice..  I am having a hard time taking my eyes off the orion et8.  Looking for a deal on one to come along so I can put it in the cart.. I realize I have to get some good eyepieces too so trying to remember what dollars I can spend..  The old Meade is in such nice shape.   thanks again.

Archived