Tablets to use with Google Skymap & SkEye

Hi,

Want a cheap tablet or mobile to take outside to use Google Skymap and SkEye.

Already have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" tablet, which the wife has told me will not be leaving the house, so don't need a Nexus 7 or such like, I'm just looking for something to run these two apps.

I've been looking at Asus MeMo pad 7 and the Acer Iconia B1. Does anyone have one of these who could confirm the two apps run on them.

Also been looking at Huawei G510 mobile which does state it has compass, GPS, and gyroscope etc. Does anyone use this?

Have around 80 - 100 quid to spend, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

David

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

Got hold of Tesco Hudl; with club card boost for £60. For the price it is well worth a punt. Loaded all the astronomy software I wanted and they work a treat. No lag, low light red screen apps and works well outside in dark. Just need it to stop raining so I can use it with flex tube.

Added bonus, has HDMI output so can connect to TV for BT Sport via internet. We don't get fibre out in the sticks, only copper wire, but the performance of the hudl watching BT sport was better than on galaxy tab 2 10.1.

For 60 notes I'm impressed.

be warned - even when you turn screen brightness to its minimum and select night time mode in skeye, its still bright and bleeds more than just red light from the screen.

get a red acetate screen cover for it, does make a big difference.

also one more warning, buy a pair of those gloves with the finger end coatings that work on touch screens. You bare fingers when they get cold stop working on touchscreens. Or at least mine seem to on my tablet and phone.

Hi There,

I use the Skyguide app on my ipad, it was that that got me into astronomy, buying my first scope last week, I have found the NV very good, and use a touch screen pen, cold hands/gloves do not become an issue :-)

Cheers

Mark

Archived