NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie observation of gear for lunar and dso

I just wanted to sum up what I think I have learnt and where i believe I should, or could go. Thought I may as we'll write it here as I look at the options. Thanks to all the threads and help on here, and google, which usually brings me back here, and FLO.

For the dslr route, as ccd is not something I'd like to look at yet, imaging in mind, but viewing of course on top. My interests, probably quite commonly in dso and lunar.

I know there are hundreds of things to add on in the future, guiding, eye pieces, etc etc but as initial scope outlay.

Thinking the heq5 pro is the mount to get, my options to go on it are... With pros and cons

SW 80ed - good quality, great for wider views, portable and laughing on the heq5. Downside is not amazing for viewing, and a little short for lunar shots ?

200 pds - good quality, wider aperture is better for viewing and shorter exposure times of dso's. Longer focal length good for moon and viewing planets. Downside is pushing the limits of the heq5 for imaging, collimating extras and set up time, bulkier in the car etc. not quite as good quality wise as the ed80 on imaging?

Skymax 127/150 - better than both above for the moon, but too slow for most other stuff.?

I've found out that my location is not quite as good as I thought lp wise, so getting in and out the house/car is gonna be important.

I'm also thinking the guider scope on the 200pds will make the heq5 strain, so would be better in a neq6, or looking at 150pds instead.

To guide and be mobile , the synguider, albeit with mixed reviews, works well on the st80.

I need to get a t and a nikon connector, a power pack and some clear skies.

Make every photon count is on order - the only easy decision!

I've seen some ed80 heq5 sell on eBay for only £250/300 less than new price, so of course bargains can be had, but gear holds its value quite well too?

I have the heq5 pro mount and the skywatcher 150p-ds. I use a dslr camera for imaging and the mount can throw this around with no problems at all. I would highly recommend it. I don't as yet have a guide scope on top of the 150p-ds however the payload capabilities of the heq5 pro will still have no problems handling it, (so I'm told). Hope that helps in ur choice.

Clear skies.

Making Every Photon Count would be a good read if you haven't already :).

A scope for DS AP is often not suited for observation, often it's the same the other way around. One telescope doesn't do it all unfortunately.

You could go for an NEQ-6 for a 200PDS (also a good visual scope but you may need an extension tube to reach focus), but the NEQ-6 is quite a lot heavier than the HEQ-5.

I'd be inclined to get an ED80 for widefield, and a 10" dob for visual. Then see how you feel about more equipment ;).

Archived