NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar scope for CG5 - No clue what I'm doing!

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a polar scope for my CG5 mount.  The instructions may as well be in Greek - I just don't understand how to properly install it.

I fit it to the mount (CG5 GT) this morning and I had to remove part of the RA axis (including the 3-screw 'clamp' bit and the setting circle that was attached to it in order for the scope to screw into the mount.  Is this right?  I really have no clue what I am doing!

You do have to remove the supplied standard fitting in the CG5, to enable the Polar scope unit to screw into the housing. To overcome any initial frustrations with coming to terms with using the unit, I would recommend having a look at Astro-Baby`s web site, where you will find an in depth tutorial on Polar aligning with the CG5 mount, HTH :)

Hi Matt

I had the same issue when fitting mine, I found it easier to get the polar scope centered by following the video on youtube Astronomy shed

Also the part you have removed should have three thumb screws fitted, I swapped these over to the new polar scope removing the little grub screws one at a time. having the thumb screws in place of the grubs also made adjustment alot easier.

Regards

John

Archived