NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Straight through numbers?

I think I may have asked this question in a different guise before but...  Re: my Helios as detailed in signature below, if I wanted to put a 2 inch eye piece on to it without a diagonal will it be the right way up on both axis.

And I'm guessing here, but will I need somekind of  extender tube to get into focus, if so any ideas how long to compensate for the diagonal,  I would be looking for a zoom focus eye piece at the same time, btw.

Many thanks

Edit: had a few posting problems of my own making here :(  my bad!

if I wanted to put a 2 inch eye piece on to it without a diagonal will it be the right way up on both axis.

I think it will be both upside down and left to right inverted.

The extender needed will have to match the path length inside the diagonal, probably around 2".

The light path through a 2" diagonal is quite long. The brands vary a bit but it's around 100mm.

ronin is right that, with no diagonal, the refractor will give an inverted image with right and left reversed.

Thats a shame, I have enough problems dealing with my finderscope doing the same, not sure I could manage the upside down, left instead of right bit with my main.  Thanks for your help though, saved me alot of agony :)

I think it might have been agony of another kind to use the 120mm F/8.3 refractor straight through unless you have a very tall mount for it !

You can get a finder that shows an upright a properly corrected image though, if thats any help. 

Archived