NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sidereel time

I've just downloaded an iPad app called Star Clock. It's meant to tell me global & local sidereel time. It seems to be an hour out though. As I write its giving local sidereel time as 13.46whereas sky safari and this website say its 14.46

http://www.jgiesen.de/astro/astroJS/siderealClock/

Can anyone explain the difference, I suppose it could be something to do with bst but I didn't think that should affect star time.

I have the same problem with that app in South Carolina. I use an app called Skytime that seems to get it right.

James

I've downloaded the Skytime app thanks.

There seems to be 3 star clock apps, an HD one, a Universal one and another. I wondered whether one of the others had the correct astronomical time. Have you any idea what the difference between the star clock apps is?

I've downloaded the Skytime app thanks.

There seems to be 3 star clock apps, an HD one, a Universal one and another. I wondered whether one of the others had the correct astronomical time. Have you any idea what the difference between the star clock apps is?

I could only find the HD one and didn't get it. What search did you use to find it?

James

I could only find the HD one and didn't get it. What search did you use to find it?

James

If you search in the App Store for star clock a universal one and hd version comes up. If you have the HD one it sounds as if they're both wrong anyway.

I have the Universal one and don't want to pay 99 cents for the HD one if it's just as wrong.  There seem to be no reviews of this app in the app store.  I'm pretty happy with Sky Time and wish SkySafari would have a more obvious Sidereal Time setting and a UT toggle to boot!!

James

I have the Universal one and don't want to pay 99 cents for the HD one if it's just as wrong.  There seem to be no reviews of this app in the app store.  I'm pretty happy with Sky Time and wish SkySafari would have a more obvious Sidereal Time setting and a UT toggle to boot!!

James

Me to, yes agree with you about sky safari. I'm going to put a review on there, maybe they'll fix it or it might save someone a quid or two.

Archived