Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium Working Great With Mesu and SiTech

pubquiz

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the software thread but it concerns both so here goes.

Although the basic planetarium that comes with Sitech works well and alot of folk use Cartes Du Ciel etc but I wanted to get Stellarium working with the Mesu as I love the look of it and was pretty comfortable with it having used it as a pure planetarium for years but had never used it for scope control.

Today I downloaded the latest version and also the required 'StellariumScope' and it is working beautifully.

You just sync on a star as usual in SiTech and an indicator circle of the scopes position appears on Stellarium.

You can then scroll around the Stellarium screen looking for DSO's or use it's great search function...just click  anywhere on screen then Ctrl 1 and the scope slews to it.

A nice feature with Stellarium is that you can store all your different scopes FL's and all your cameras spec like chip size etc and select a reticle showing what will fit on your camera ...you can then toggle between scopes and cameras to see how big the object will be on various scope/camera combos.....you can do it for eyepieces and barlows as well

Most of the Major DSO's and all the Planets are represented photo realistically so you can see just how big the object will appear on your setup.

I realise there are  many other programes that do the same thing (but some seem very complicated and don't feel intuitive to use....and just don't look good) but just thought I'd post this to say that Stellarium does talk to the  SiTech/Mesu very nicely.

Plus a big bonus is Stellarium is free :grin:

Tom

Archived