Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A question about a Mono CCD

lensman57

Hi,

I have to start saving for a mono Cooled CCD. At the moment I am imaging with an ATIK 428 EX OSC and a modded 1000d and an old Atik 16IC mono. My scopes range from 71 mm Ed @ 335 FL to 100 mm ED @ 765mm FL. In an ideal world I would have gone for an ATiK 460 EX mono but the price is well out of reach even for the plastic card. The 314 L+ is at a more reasonable price level but it is getting old and the pixel scale with my shorter FL scopes is just under 4 acsec/pix. The 428 and the 450 remain the two more worthy candidates but the pixel size on the 450 is worryingly small and then there is the question of the dynamic range of the larger pixels V the smaller ones.

What would you advise?

Regards,

A.G

I would worry, first of all, about the size of chip you'd like or could live with. This will define what picture you take more decisively than will the pixels scale or the dynamic range. If your scope's image is forming on the circuit board around the chip, remember that this has a dynamic range of zero!! 

Your post sent me to a dealer's website for the prices and I'm surpized by how bunched up they are at the moment. (Lack of dynamic range!) The small chip cameras cost about 3/4 of the medium format ones which would leave me wondering if a longer save or second hand purchase might not give you the camera you'd really want. Feel free to pelt me with rotten tomatoes since I'm not sticking to your remit, but that's what struck me.

Olly

I would worry, first of all, about the size of chip you'd like or could live with. This will define what picture you take more decisively than will the pixels scale or the dynamic range. If your scope's image is forming on the circuit board around the chip, remember that this has a dynamic range of zero!! 

Your post sent me to a dealer's website for the prices and I'm surpized by how bunched up they are at the moment. (Lack of dynamic range!) The small chip cameras cost about 3/4 of the medium format ones which would leave me wondering if a longer save or second hand purchase might not give you the camera you'd really want. Feel free to pelt me with rotten tomatoes since I'm not sticking to your remit, but that's what struck me.

Olly

Thanks Olly,

I knew as much in my heart I guess. I have contacted a vendor for a used 314L +, not a perfect match to my scopes but the price is right if  it is still available and any how living a mile  or so from the airport will probably cancel out all other technical considerations.

A.G

Thanks Olly,

I knew as much in my heart I guess. I have contacted a vendor for a used 314L +, not a perfect match to my scopes but the price is right if  it is still available and any how living a mile  or so from the airport will probably cancel out all other technical considerations.

A.G

This is a great, great camera. I used its precursor, the 16HR, at focal lengths from the three hundreds to around a meter. It is particularly good in Ha and O111 which might help exclude the airport!

Olly

This is a great, great camera. I used its precursor, the 16HR, at focal lengths from the three hundreds to around a meter. It is particularly good in Ha and O111 which might help exclude the airport!

Olly

Good Morning Olly,

The deal was done and it is supposed to be on it's way to me on Monday, perhaps Tuesday. Will be looking forward to doing a few NB captures of the  M27, and the Rosset,  weather permitting of course.

Many thanks for your advice and support.

A.G

Archived