NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQMOD - noob questions (with Stellarium)

autonm

Ive been searching/reading a handful of post on EQMOD but they all seem to be advanced type questions.

I'd like to roll it back a step and ask some new-bie questions  :grin:

(Im currently waiting on delivery of a HEQ5 mount)

I have Stellarium up and running with Stellarium Scope and Stellarium - using the simulator. (so far so good)

1. The HEQ5 is coming with a EQDIR (usb) adapter/cable - and I have read that I need to setup a virtual COM port to read from the USB port.

If this is correct then how do I setup a virtual port?

2.  Whats the different track rates for ?   sidereal / lunar / custom - etc

3. AM I right in that manually align the mount / scope - then if I am pointing at say Polaris, I simply select Polaris in Stellarium and then press SYNC under the 'slew telescope' option? - then away I go?

Also any other gotcha's to watch out for would be great.

I have tried Cartes du Ciel - but I like Stellarium due to the Ocular view.

Thanks

1. A virtual COM port just means that your usb EQDIR will appear as a standard serial device to windows. This will all be taken care of by the driver software that comes with your EQDIR (or that can be downloaded from the EQDIR supplier's website). After installing the driver and plugging in the EQDIR you should see a new COM port listed in the windows device manager - if this has been assigned to a numer higher than COM16 then you will need to used the device manager to override to a lower number.

2. Sidereal rate is for trackimg stars - or anything else that appears to move at the rotation rate of the Earth. Solar rate is for tracking the Sun, Lunar rate is an 'average' rate for tracking the Moon, Custom rate is for comets, asteroids, satelites etc.

3. To align you initiate a goto from stellarium, then use EQMOD centre

the star in a high power (preferably reticule) eypiece. When centered you initiate a sync from stellarium.

In case you are not aware of it I have posted a comprehensive series of EQMOD video tutorials on youtube that may help. The tutorials tend to use CDC but the principles are all the same.

Chris.

For the HEQ5 you will always have to polar align. The better the alignment, the longer you can image. So for your DSLR it will be mandatory.

I polar align by putting Polaris on the circle position where "polarfinder" (a little programme) shows it to be. Then I use "alignmaster" (another little programme) to perfect my polar alignment visually. Then I pop my DSLR in and check whether I'm good. This should give you the chance for 60s to 120s subs without guiding.

I polar align by putting Polaris on the circle position where "polarfinder" (a little programme) shows it to be.

EQMOD actually has its own in built 'polarfinder' type display - it can also automatically move the mount so the reticule is in the correct position (rather than having to judge it by eye).

Chris

EQMOD actually has its own in built 'polarfinder' type display - it can also automatically move the mount so the reticule is in the correct position (rather than having to judge it by eye).

Chris

Ooh - I have to find out how!!!

Chris - I hope you do come back to this post...

Ive got things connected up - however Im now sure I have the polar alignment in the correct order.

1. Connect up - with the scope in its home position and open the Polarscope alignment tool.

2. Based on my location and times settings, Polaris is shown say in the 8 o'clock or south west position of the red circle on your alignment tool.

3. I put Polaris in the central cross of the Polarscope view itself... then adjust elevation using the t-bolts until polaris crosses the rectile circle at the top. 

4. I then select 12 o'clock from the dropdown and hit "Set Polarscope Home"

NEXT IS MY CONFUSION STEPS, IF YOU CAN CHECK IT OVER.

I then hit "Align Polarscope" and EQMOD goes off and does its bit. However if I look through the polarscope the little circle seems to be flipped as to where I expected it to be... i.e. instead of 8 o'clock its at 2 o'clock?

Is this correct? or what are the steps I should take until completion?

Thanks

Chris

Found it. Never tried clicking there before...

Thanks!!!

Archived