NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making an Auto-Guider for HEQ5 pro synscan

I've recently got an HEQ5 pro synscan. For visual and goto it works fantastically after polar and 3-star alignment. However I'd like to try some long (5 mins say) exposures and hence think about guiding. For imaging, initially I'll be using a DSLR. I don't think I want to get drawn into the OAG discussion to much, I was hoping for something simple and relatively cheap.

I use a mac (OSX 10.8) and have PHD installed. I can get a GPUSB for ST-4 guiding. Recently I got the USB-serial to handset control working also. If necessary I can run windows (say win 7) from a VM, but would rather not have to.

My questions are: 

1. What sort of guide scope, a 50mm is sufficient, I see some from BST, Orion etc, & recommendations, pros/cons?

2. What camera. I know QHY5 will probably come up. I was hoping to modify a webcam (like say the MS Lifecam HD) and be able to use that also for planetary video stacking from time to time as well. However, I guess this won't work at all with PHD on OSX, I'd have to use the Windows VM? Any options that would work natively, should I just accept the VM route?

3. Mounting, what are the options. Can I bolt the finder to a dovetail bar on top of my telescope?

Any help much appreciated, it's all a bit of a learning curve and there are so many options!

Many thanks, Louis

I did a DIY with my orion 50mm finderscope and attached my QHY-II on the back. Works very well. I've never had a proble finding a guid star and very easily get 5min. My finderguider sits in the bracket that comes with it and works just fine. Where a 50mm finder becomes difficult is if you have heavy LP which can make finding a star sometimes difficult. This setup might not work once I try to go to 15min+ but I'm still new to it so I'm very happy with 5min subs.

Thanks for the info.

Are you a windows or mac user? Also I presume with QHY that you're connecting direct to the mount with ST-4?

I may have to revise my ideas and use a VM, due to lack of OSX native camera drivers, but I see some options are supported by PHD (but not QHY* by the looks of it).

Have you tried the QHY as a planetary webcam also. If I can get something dual purpose then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. What would you do for guiding then or does webcam stacking align frames providing the planet remains in the shot?

Agreed - a webcam and finder scope will do the job for you at a modest cost.  With guiding you need to be able to see a star (!) but with a wide field finder this is quite easy to do - the adjustmant in the standard bracket is more than enough if you need to move the finder.  Image quality is not really an issue - as long as you can get a decent "white dot" the software should guide on it - some folk even commenting that there are advantages to be had by guiding on a very slightly out of focus star image.

Alright so it sounds like in terms of scope, a 50mm finder like this http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-mini-50mm-guide-scope.htm would suffice.

As for camera, I was thinking to modify the MS lifecam hd (720p) with the billetparts adapter. Total cost there about  say £30+15 = £45, the guider is around £90

Then I'd need GPUSB which is around £80. So total around £90 + £80 + £45 = £215 and in that I'd also have a webcam for planets. The snag being having to use a windows VM for guiding, but I guess I could live with that.

Is that a reasonable & cost-effective solution?

Thanks for the info.

Are you a windows or mac user? Also I presume with QHY that you're connecting direct to the mount with ST-4?

I may have to revise my ideas and use a VM, due to lack of OSX native camera drivers, but I see some options are supported by PHD (but not QHY* by the looks of it).

Have you tried the QHY as a planetary webcam also. If I can get something dual purpose then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. What would you do for guiding then or does webcam stacking align frames providing the planet remains in the shot?

My QHY-II connects directly to the mount and also the computer. Im a windows users so sry can't help you there.

I have the mono version and a ED80 so I have not tried it on planetary. Though I will try and give it a shot at the moon some time. They have a color version that several people on here use it for planetary but the color is not as sensitive as the mono. Tis why the mono is very popular as a guide cam.

Thanks for the details.

That camera certainly looks nice.

I'm not exactly sure which way I'll approach this problem yet but it sounds broadly like what I want to do is feasible. The exact choice of camera is a bit undecided as this stage but at least there are options.

I might keep an eye on what comes up on ebay.

One step at a time, a bit of research to avoid taking a bad path (and wasting money) never hurts does it!

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My QHY-II connects directly to the mount and also the computer. Im a windows users so sry can't help you there.

I have the mono version and a ED80 so I have not tried it on planetary. Though I will try and give it a shot at the moon some time. They have a color version that several people on here use it for planetary but the color is not as sensitive as the mono. Tis why the mono is very popular as a guide cam.

Hi,

Ok - I got a QHY5L-II to use as a guider and a basic planetary imager. Main goal is to get guiding working to start with.

I also got a skywatcher 9x50 right angle (correct image) finder.

I figured it would be easy to connect the two, but can I work out how to do it?!? Nope!

Can I ask, how did you fit the QHY5-II camera on the 9x50? Did you use a straight 9x50 finder or the right angle one? Both seem to need different fittings and I can't quite work out what is needed for the RA finder, it seems the QHY camera has C mount thread, and also has an adapter that gives standard 1 1/4 filter thread. The 9x50 has some sort of 2" (non-standard filter thread). One way might be to connect somehow via T2 fittings to the 1 1/4 or C mount on the camera. Or even T2 to 1 1/4 eyepiece holder, but I'm not sure. I measured the back focus so I know where the camera needs to be. Either I need very accurate extender tubes or the flexibility an eyepiece holder would give positioning wise in order to be certain to get focus.

I'm a bit lost, should I swap the 9x50 RA for a straight through and get the parfocal adapter and some sort of T2 to 1 1/4 or C mount adapter for the camera?

Any ideas, really not sure what to do but I'd like something stable that doesn't ruin the finder and doesn't cost more than the finder in adapters! :)

Archived