Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which CCD?

Kenza

I have found Atik cameras to be incredibly reliable in commercial use and one of the the other makes in your list to be the reverse.

Don't worry about counting megapixels in itself. That's for daytime cameras or maybe just for the marketing men.

Look at,

1) The size of the chip in mm. More is good, but does the flat image circle of your optics cover it? (The image circle of the optics must be as large as the diagonal measurement of the chip.)

2) How many arcseconds per pixel will you get with chip 'x.' Try this calculator; http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm  Something below about 1.5 will probably be unreachable because of the seeing. The exact point at which this arrives is controvertial and I don't want to start a ballyhoo, but 1.5 should please most people!! Anyway, 1.5 arcsecs per pixel would be a good lower limit for a beginner and going above 4 would be a bad idea.

Now I'm going to try to steer you away from one shot colour, not that it isn't good. Ian King steered me away when I started and I bless him for it. I have subsequently bought and used OSC but only because I also had mono as well. A bad reason for choosing OSC is that it is easier. It isn't. In fact, on occasion, it can be harder. It very much depends on the target. Getting enough signal on emission nebulae in OSC is a huge task. Getting some Ha to add to red makes it faster and better. And you can image Ha on clear moonlit nights. A serious bonus.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Ok , i calculated for three cameras ( I presume Mono versions are the same so I used the ones above) and here is what I got:

1) Starlight Xpress SXVR-H674     ( Sony ICX )

Pixel size 4.54 microns

Sensor 8.81mm x 6,63mm

Resolution: 1.04"/pixel

FOV: 33.65' x 25.32'

2) Atik 383   ( Kodak KAF 8300 )

Pixel Size  5.4 microns

Sensor 17,6 x 13,5 mm

Resolution: 1,24"/Pixel

Much bigger FOV

3) Atik 450   ( Sony ICX)

Pixel Size 3,45 microns

Sensor 8,74mm x 7,13 mm

Resolution : 0,79"/pixel

FOV : 32.26' x 27.02'

From what I can see I get the most from the Atik 383, right?

Archived