NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera lens converting to scope

Thought I would ask the question... is it possible/easy/stupid to convert an old camera lens into any kind of viewing device.

I ask because I have just been given a rather long 600mm old camera lens and wondered about turning it into a refractor for my son :) (cheap skate that I am).

Many thanks

I suppose, in theory at least it would work. People use telescopes as camera lenses.

What you'd need to do would be to machine a tube with a place to lock the lens in place, then attach a focuser to the other end of the tube at it's focal point.

Okeydokey......... Depending on the lens (Nikon for example) you could buy a Lens Scope Converter.  Although out of production for Nikon, you may find something on the auction sites, failing that, some `old` lenses can be quite collectable, for their build qualities, so maybe a trade in may fetch some additional funds for a scope to your Sons requirements.

For giggles I converted one of my old Canon kit lenses into a monocular with bits and pieces I had laying around. It just took a EOS camera bayonet to M42 thread adapter (aka T-ring), a 1 3/4" eyepiece holder with M42 thread and one of my Plössl eye pieces. The camera lens handled focusing and zooming (since this was a 18-55 mm lens) . 

Archived