NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Film 'Nostalgia for the Light'

kerrylewis

Has anyone seen this film?

I have just rented the blu-Ray. It's about Chile and is a strange, sometimes uneasy, combination of astronomy and political history. The stories of the 'disappeared' are very moving but the attempt to link the search for the remains of loved ones and 'searching for the stars' is a bit forced at times. I suspect that the subtitle translations may be a bit iffy too at times.

However, one of the 'extras' is a gem. It's about a lovely chap who had built his own telescope and observatory from scratch. It has a motor driven chair to raise him to the eyepiece which is built from car and sewing machine bits. And next to his incredible moon map and illuminated planisphere he has built a urinal complete with light and flushing water so he doesn't have to go back to the house!

When asked what have been the happiest moments if his life, he says his wedding and the completion of his first mirror! I'm not sure that he would have put them in that order if he is wife was not nearby!

Yes, I saw it, and a strange mix indeed, almost bizarre. I was hoping for more about astronomy. In the end, that disappointment may have colored my opinion of it as something less than even remotely profound. Too bad. Maybe I gotta learn to relax a little more?

Archived