Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

October 8, 2013: Two big proms and a curious linear filament

Just had a look at the sun with my H-alpha scope through the haze. A very large, thin prom is visible northwards on the eastern limb. The structure is nearly linear with several knots. Nearby on the surface a long filament can be seen. This is nothing special in itself, but this one is straight as a poker. Really curious. I first thought it was part of a con-trail, but it moves with the sun.

Finally, there is a huge arcing prom way south on the eastern limb.

Cheered me up no end on a day when I am at home suffering from sinusitis. Solar observing can be very therapeutic.

The brief view I had yesterday were pretty spectacular...  just gutted I didn't manage to get any images :( but this is the observing section :)

After rushing home and setting the scope up I had no more than 10 mins unobstructed viewing before it headed for the trees so it looks like my home based Solar is coming to an end until next year...

Peter...

Archived