NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky pollution filters (what to look for?)

I want to get the most out of my scope, unfortunately there is a decent, though not unbearable light pollution problem in my area, I've been hearing about light pollution filters for awhile, and have been considering the Orion skyglow since it blocks out street lights, and some of the photos I've seem with it seem to be what I want, I primarily like viewing planets and dsos (all kinds)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Manok101.......  I was reading on the same subject, as I have direct street lighting not more than 60 feet away from my back garden. A Light pollution filters true function is to block sky glow. Light Pollution Reduction Filters (LPR) are designed to selectively reduce the transmission of certain wavelengths of light, specifically those produced by artificial light. That includes mercury and sodium type lights. Nebula`s emit wavelengths different to street lighting, so the filter is designed to allow their frequency to pass through freely while blocking others.The filter should  darken the background sky, making deep-sky observation and photography of nebulae, star clusters and galaxies possible from urban areas. Always a better option is too seek some dark skies outside  the City limits? For me thats less than 5 mins!

I always try to look into the technical side of things, then on that grounding, say to myself " technically, this should work" however, optical systems, seeing conditions, and the condition of your MK1 eyeballs all work differently, so therefore, what is technically achievable vs. actually achievable, is down to the user, if you know what i mean.
Check out a Wratten chart, they provide a labeling system for optical filters, and I believe that the VLT (visual light transfer - have`nt  re-studied this yet = amount of light that is allowed to pass through the filter as a percentage, the lower  percentage, less light is transmitted ~ need to re-study my camera books?)

Archived