NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars for dad's 60th

Hi,

My dad has always carried a cheap pair of binoculars with him for looking at wildlife, the moon and ISS but with him being 60 in a few weeks I want to buy him a good pair. I've worked out I want 12x50 bins and I'd like them to have BaK4 prisms. Any particular brands I should look for? Budget is up to £150 but the less the better.

Thanks in advance

From my experience withe 10x50 versions of them, I'd suggest one of these three options:

Roof Prism: Hawke Nature Trek 12x50 (I've dealt with the supplier, Carmarthen Cameras, on several occasions and have found them to be reliable.)

Porro prism: Pentax XCF 12x50 Quite a lot heavier than the Hawke. (I know nothing about the supplier)

Push up your budget or try to find a cheaper deal on  the Pentax PCF 12x50 WP II . The 10x50 version is a cracking good binocular for the price, noticeably better than either of the two above.

However, you may want to reconsider the size of binocular. I am a "not insubstantial"  :laugh:  63 year-old, I am beginning to find 10x50s a little less steady than I used to; a 12x50 is definitely a jitter-monster for me. I tend to use my much lighter 10x42 in preference and am wondering how long it will be before I get myself an 8x42 or similar.

I think Steve's pretending to be older than he actaually is !!

I'm 64 (years old!) and have just bought a pair of Nikon 12x50 Action Extreme bins that I have fallen in love with! HOWEVER - I got them for astro observation and they aint that small.

Opticron have a range of bins (Oregon) that are perfect for "the old man" - especially 8 or 10x 42. They are compact and he is much more likely to actually go out with them than with anything bigger - just from a weight/size point of view. We astro nerds are prepared to suffer all manner of discomfort just to be able to see that special summat - but your dad isn't one of us if I understand you right!

So, if he really is into "The Sky At Night" then for me - Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 or 12x50 (probably cheaper from Microglobe) or an Opticron 10x42 for something a bit smaller and easier to hold still for a longer pereiod of time.

Just my feelings.

Kind regards

Roger

At 62 I got the Bushnell 10x42 natureview bins they are excellent and lightweight and compact which is great for carrying around all day?, I use them for my astro viewing also and find them assume :smiley: , Price around the £120 mark .  

Thanks guys this is just what I was after. The Pentax and Nikon ones look to be the best bet, I just need to find where they sell the Nikon one. I think the weight should just be OK but if not I could get a tripod Christmas time. 

Archived