NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

October 3, 2013: Solar lunch with visitors

Just set up the solar scope during lunch. Some nice activity low on the south-eastern part of the disc, showing bright whirls around some dark spots, coinciding with the two big AR in white light. At roughly the same location on the limb some smaller proms could be seen. Nearer the equator a thin, near linear prominence was visible on the east side. The western limb was fairly quiet, showing only some small proms. The series of filaments more northwards on the disk are still going strong.

All in all about ten PhD students dropped by to have a look (quite a few for the first time), and all were suitable impressed, despite the lack of grandiose fireworks I have been able to show before. It is turning a bit hazy now, so I fear this might be the last solar lunch for a couple of days at least.

Im hoping the sun comes out today, I have just bought a full aperture filter to fit my scope :smiley:  I used to have one for my 6inch and I used to enjoy watching the sun.

I am not sure if it will look any different in the 9.25 :smiley:

Im hoping the sun comes out today, I have just bought a full aperture filter to fit my scope :smiley:  I used to have one for my 6inch and I used to enjoy watching the sun.

I am not sure if it will look any different in the 9.25 :smiley:

For white light I have a full aperture filter with my C8 and have used that quite a bit, but currently I use my 80mm apo with Herschel wedge, which seems to work well. It is easier to set up as well. I have not really done a head-to-head comparison

Michael,

I had a good couple of hours today with the scope and I was very impressed.

I managed to see 3 very small spots in the bottom left as well as the main few in the centre and a small one on the right (this may all be in reverse) :smiley:

Archived