NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First DSLR lens

My Pentax K-m currently has the standard 18 - 55 lens,  I would like to get involved in imaging in a small way (budget) what should I be looking for?

I have the ability to piggy back the camera onto my scope, so using the rigel and an EQ3-2 mount with drive motors may help things?

I would like to do some stacked DSO images.

Many thanks

a full frame camera has a sensor that's the same size as a 35mm file frame. A crop sensor camera has a sensor that's a bit smaller. This has the effect that the FOV through a lens of a specific focal length is reduced on the crop sensor camera. So my 450d is a 1.6 crop sensor, when using a 50mm lens on it, the FOV (in 35mm terms) is an equivalent of 80mm. Hope that makes sense. Looking on google, the sensor size of the K-m would make it about the same size as the Canon crop sensor. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much... basically, you'll get images about the same view as I do with my Canon.

You could use your kit lens, or if Pentax do a cheap 50mm prime, that's excellent for widefield. I'd actually take the scope off and mount the camera directly to the mount though.

Was also going to suggest a 50mm prime :). Excellent for widefield AP and a general use FL for daytime photography.

Archived