NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens with Astronomik LP clip filter?

Yes no problem, all EF designated lenses are fine, there is only an issue with EF-S designation although these can be made to fit with some minor mods to the rear of the lens mount

Is it ok to imagine that I can keep popping the LP filter in/out or will that damage the filter?

The filter is held in place by what I can only describe as two side tangs at 4 oclock and 8 oclock, if you take the filter in and out use the flat on the top of the filter at 12 oclock and a plastic tool to lever it out. The tangs can become crushed in towards the filter after a number of removals, this can be corrected by gently levering the tangs out slightly to tighten the fit again, but the bottom of the tang which attaches to the main filter body is a weak point so you will need to be careful. I've not had a problem myself but can imagine this to be an area of concern if you're not especially careful and remove the filter on a regular basis

post-13434-133877681665_thumb.jpg

Which filter is it I want btw?

Clip-Filter system for Canon EOS cameras

Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK L (UV+IR Block filter)

excl. VAT (Non-EU): €74.79

incl. VAT (EU): €89.00

Excl. shipping

Add to Cart

Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK MC-Clear

excl. VAT (Non-EU): €57.98

incl. VAT (EU): €69.00

Excl. shipping

Add to Cart

Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK CLS

excl. VAT (Non-EU): €108.40

incl. VAT (EU): €129.00

Excl. shipping

Add to Cart

Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK CLS-CCD

excl. VAT (Non-EU): €133.61

incl. VAT (EU): €159.00

Excl. shipping

Add to Cart

I presume you will be using your 450D (unmodded), if so the CLS is the best option for light pollution suppression, this blocks the spectral lines of mercury and sodium vapour lamps but does not include an IR block, the colour correction filter over the sensor already has this but also blocks Ha.

If you plan to mod your DSLR and remove the IR filter over the sensor and not replace it then the CLS-CCD version is the best option as this includes an IR block in the substrate.

The L type filter is a strong UV/IR block but lets all visible wavelengths pass, so not good for light pollution suppression.

The M type filter is for full spectrum mods and is essentially a clear glass dust protector and has no filtering properties.

Hope this helps

Archived