Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making A Metal Parallelogram Mount

Steven_J

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had a link to plans for a metal parallelogram mount suitable for binoculars of 5kg or less and for someone 6'1" tall?

I ask as most of the ones I can find are for wooden makes, and I am lucky enough to have a fabrication shop at my work with a few people there who might do me a favour at, or less than, material cost. I'm not sure if the mount can just be made able to sit and secured in a standard EQ3 tripod, or would a tripod need to be built as well specific to the parallelogram?

Regards,

You could make something like the design published in S @ N over the last couple of months - it is for a design in wood but it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the timber with something like 6mm by 30mm Aluminium strip (or smaller, it would still be quite strong enough with 4mm by 20mm).  All the wooden "plywood sheet" parts could be from 5 or 6 mm ali sheet.  Just bolt it together with shorter bolts - stainless steel for preference.  Steel would also work but the finished article would be pretty heavy in comparison to an Ali version.  No reason at all why you could not adapt it to fit your EQ3 tripod.

Archived