NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Budget...

Okeydokey

I have a EQ1 mount, my scope as detailed in the sig,  I have a finder and can fit an az tracking motor to the mount. But... I also have a Pentax K-m camera...

How far am I from getting started in imaging effectively?  The current camera lense is 18-55 so I know I wll have to spend, but I have variously read advice on going for a 200mm fast camera lense (below f4) and an Astrotrac? and forgetting about the scope.   I don't mind this idea, I can use the scope for eye work only.

I would like to take DSO's in the future but fancy a go at some lunar stuff on the way!  I have not discounted the scope option for imaging but seems most expensive.

Any input appreciated

You should be able to get a rough polar alignment, with the EQ1, you could even fit an RDF or simple finderscope to improve on it. Then 2 to 3 minutes with the EQ1 at short focal lengths (18mm) should be achievable. 

Beyond that, you're either looking at a heavier EQ mount (HEQ5 or so) and you can use your scope on it at a later date, with guiding etc, also lunar. Or, you can look at the portable options. Vixen Polarie, iOptron Skytracker or Astrotrac. The Astrotrac has a greater load capacity, and has a lunar tracking rate, so far though, I've not used longer than 50mm and at 50mm, 5 minute exposures is easy.

Have a look at Steve's book also... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html before laying out any large sums of money.

Archived