Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I need your help!

JKB

Ok 

1. This is a serious post

2. It is not an unadulterated plug for myself (MODs please feel free to pull this post if you feel I break any forum rules)

3. I am serious about your help...

So, over the last year or so (feels like much longer!)I have been writing a series of books on Astronomy and Astrophotography. The series consists of 5 books and are aimed purely at the beginner. Topics include basic Astronomy, Equipment, AP and some DIY bits and bobs. 

This is also by no means a re-write of Steve's marvellous book Every Photon Counts (Although I do mention it in mine and suggest the reader buys it) but written to inform and show from an amateurs point of view, what I did when starting, the problems and what is possible etc.

Now why do I need your help?

I am looking for images taken by my fellow members here at SGL to include in my books. Of course I have included some of my own but would love to include pictures form other amateurs to show the beginner exactly what is possible. From the cheap end (where I am) to some of the truly awe inspiring posts I have seen on here.

I am particularly interested in Solar (as I haven't yet taken any myself) and Planetary photos as I have taken only a few but anything you would be happy to include would be great (DSO's, Clusters or anything else). This also include wide-field pictures, pictures of your set up (from the small to the big) your DIY observatories and any home built things you would like to show off. I could so easily use images from other sources but feel it would be better to show the real thing to my readers from people who are passionate about Astronomy.

If you can/are willing to help in any way please let me know. I appreciate you may not want to publicly agree so drop me a PM. Any image/s used will of course be fully credited but unfortunately I cannot offer payment (unless I become a multi-millionaire best seller and then I will :grin: ) .

I am hoping the first 2 books to be published in time for the Christmas rush so please let me know.

Kindest regards

Jamie

Hi

If you PM me your email I will add you to my dropbox share and you can upload there. Any format but best quality preferred.  If you could add a quick note with details and name etc for crediting you.  

Thanks

Jamie

OK, an awkward question. if you are covering solar imaging but have never done any, where is the credibility of your book? I don't mean to be nasty but I might as well ask the question before your readers do so.

I'll talk to you seriously about my deep sky images but as a professional I won't release them for print publication casually and would need considerable editorial control over how they were used. Of course, you can tell me to jump in the lake and that would be fine!

From here on, PM would be best.

Olly

Olly

This is not an awkward question at all and I am glad you asked it!  

I have actually taken some solar images that are awful! They will be included in my book however, to demonstrate exactly how hard this hobby can be! But I thought it would be nice to show what can be achieved by the amateur so hence why I ask others for their renditions. Whilst I am an Amateur Astronomer I do have a MPhys in Astrophysics so hope this will afford some credibility to what I write?

I totally understand your caution to using your images but of course would be happy to discuss further if you would like to contribute.

Many thanks

Jamie

Archived