NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dss trial and error

brrttpaul

Hi everyone, wonder if i can do a type of trial and error post to see where I am going wrong. Ok last night using a nikon d3100 and a sigma 150-500mm lens took 10 subs of  the night sky and 5 darks. I know this isnt ideal but it was just an experiment to see if i can use dss. Anyway I added the pics and the darks everytime I loaded it to dss something went wrong, (out of memory, only one picture will be stacked etc). I did get something and tried stretching it a little in photoshop. Heres the result.

post-25141-0-83720700-1379267173_thumb.j

Ahahh..

The old 'out of memory error huh?'

This is very common from what I can remember and can be solved.

Its a long time since I used DSS but from memory, once all the frames (lights. darks etc.) are loaded - click on a light at the bottom in the list, then on the image screen select 'custom rectangle'. It should be one of the icons on the right side.

Select an area of sky to process (it can be almost the entire frame) by drawing a box round it then run the stacking.

This used to work for me. Don't know why, but hey ...... thats freeware for you. Still an excellent bit of software.

Archived