Best Place for Dark Sky?

Would have thought there would be somewhere along the A172 Stokesley road.

Past Stokesley would I think be better as if I recall it then puts the hills between there and Middlesborough and so is darker.

Gt Ayton perhaps.

If you get to the Tontine then too far.

Can you drive up to Roseberry Topping ?

NT property but probably quite good, still have some light from Middlesborough.

Checked and no clubs for Cleveland apparently.

depends how far you wish to travel.i live in west Yorkshire and travel to your sort of area and the best local spot ive used is at hawes in north yorks.you have a good choice between north yorks,northumberland and across to the lakes if you are willing(like me) to travel a few hours either way.up in Northumberland about 1h30 should get you somewhere like cawfields near haltwistle or kielder.an extra hour and a half could have you in Galloway and that is epic darkness.an hour and a half can have you at haweswater in the lakes or closer by you could do about 30 mins and get to kirkbymoorside or Sutton bank area.

I did the same, I looked up Keilder initially and nearly said go there. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Still a good idea if they have a gathering, good skies, dark, and people to meet and talk with. Probably something worth thinking of doing once a month if possible. Check what they have arranged.

Thank you for the advice, i will try local sites such as roseberry then once i get more experience of how to navigate the night sky and telescope then i will start venturing further a field. there is a society near by wynyard which isnt to far so it might be in my best interest to join there, again thank you for the advice.

Try and look locally, especially if you are lugging a lot of gear. You cant really order the sky you want but what does help is a dark site to observe from. Local park? Fishing clubs often have good out of town and safe venues, speak to them they might help you as well.

Archived