NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Something bugging me

watersblue

There's 3 options really:

1- Convert the 50mm finder scope to a finder guider. I have does this and it works quite well even in my LP skies. I have achieved 5min subs easily. I'm sure I could get 10min if I spent a night fine tuning but havent tried that yet.

2- Attached a ST-80 to your ED80 either by scope rings or with a parallel bar

3- Use an OAG (Off Axis Guiding), which goes between your camera and the focuser. It takes about 2% or so of the light that comes through the tube and uses that to find stars to guide from.

4-This is not used as much as the others and is expensive but is an option - buy a CCD camera with a built it guide chip. I just bought a second CCD that does this and is actually on its way as we speak. So can't give personal advive on this one yet but looking forward to trying it out.

Most seem to recommend the ed80 on an heq5. What is used for a guidescope in such a setup?

Thanks.

Hi,

The secret to good guiding is to minimise the factors that effect it adversely. Weight of the guiding set up and flexture of the tube and the mounting rig play a big part in this. ST 80 is poular but I think is overkill for a short FL ED like the ED 80, it also adds a lot of weight and bulk to a scope that although is optically good is not exactly a prime example of high build quality, I have one so I know what it is like. I think that you are better off with a 50~60 mm finder guider. A well set up 50 mm guider is good enough up to a 1000mm FL . If however , you were doing imaging with an SC or a long FL APO then you'd have to use something like ST80 for guiding.

A.G

Archived