Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder Guider connection conundrum

Brent

I'd appreciate some help if possible, please.

My guiding quality seems to be a little too variable and I'm starting to think flexure could be the issue.

More often than not I'm getting eggy stars. I still have some testing to do with regard to sub length but as I get the same eggy stars at 3,4,and 5 mins, I suspect they'll be the same at 10 mins.

My fiinder guider is connected to the main scope via the standard finder shoe as in the first picture below, and I know that this connection (and the spring adjuster) can be a major cause of flexure.

To that end, I've been searching (and searching!) for 50mm tube rings (rather than guide rings) to connect it to a dovetail instead. Sadly, this size of tube ring seems to be unobtainable. :sad:

So my only option appears to be keep it as is, or use the finder rings I do have (pic below). They also connect via the shoe, but they don't have the spring adjuster (although the thumbscrews are nylon tipped :sad: )

My question is - in theory, which would I be best off using? (Practical testing doesn't look like it will be possible for at least a week or so)

DSC_0266.jpgDSC_0267.jpg

The three point rings would almost certainly be better than the one you are using. If you still suspect flexure, try removing the nylon tips or replacing with all-metal screws. I try to use metal screws for anything like this and put a piece of thin fibre washer between the screw and the paint to protect it. (You can get fibre washers in the plumbing section of any DIY shop).

Thanks Ian, that's pretty much what I thought. I'll have a go at getting the nylon off because there will still be enough length on the screws to hold the finder.

I used your advice I found last week on calculating the relative pixel size of imager and guider and I'm at 4.48x so that's not good, but I haven't got any way of getting a barlow in the guider train so it'll have to do.

I did also think about putting the finder shoe on a dovetail anyway - if nothing else it will aid balance I think.

Thanks for the Imaging Toolbox as well, I had a play last week and find it much better than 12dstring.

Thanks Ian, that's pretty much what I thought. I'll have a go at getting the nylon off because there will still be enough length on the screws to hold the finder.

I used your advice I found last week on calculating the relative pixel size of imager and guider and I'm at 4.48x so that's not good, but I haven't got any way of getting a barlow in the guider train so it'll have to do.

I did also think about putting the finder shoe on a dovetail anyway - if nothing else it will aid balance I think.

Thanks for the Imaging Toolbox as well, I had a play last week and find it much better than 12dstring.

Well bear in mind that 4x is just a rule of thumb, you should be okay at 4.48x but it just makes life harder if you go too far above it when starting out. Glad you like the toolbox.

Archived