Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA or Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

Hi there I am looking purchasing one of the above and piggybacking it on my CPC1100 it will be primarily used for visual work for wide views against the smaller field of view in my larger scope. Has anyone had the chance to use one side by side who could give any advice or opinions It will be housed in an observatory I am just completing but I have been saying that for a few weeks now. My dilemma is do I go for the 80 ed with the diagonal, eyepiece and other accessories or do I go for the Equinox 80 with it's larger field of view and better build quality but lacks the accessories. I look forward to any comments you may be able help me with, there is just to much choice nowadays.

The raison d'etre of the Equinox is imaging. The faster F ratio is perhaps very useful there. The difference in FOV at the eyepiece won't be terriby significant if you use a good widefield EP anyway. A 2 inch would be best but a premium one would risk costing you more than the scope!

My own choice of small widefield visual scope was a TeleVue Pronto second hand for half the cost new of the Skywatchers.

Olly

Hi Olly thanks for the reply I have tried to get hold of a second hand equinox or an ed 80 for months but can't seem to find one. Up until recently I have only had a Meade 56mm 2" eyepiece and have not had anything to measure it against but I have just purchased a second hand 26mm Panoptic but not had the chance to use it yet I don't know if I would notice the difference in my slow f10 scope but when I get hold of the small frac the Televue will come in to it's own.

Archived